Heartland Coalfield Alliance Organizing Retreat
May 17-19, 2013
Camp Ondessonk, Ozark, IL
The Heartland Coalfield Alliance (HCA) works to reduce impacts from dirty coal mining, coal burning and coal waste disposal while promoting cleaner, more sustainable and affordable energy solutions for the Illinois Coal Basin.
The purpose of this May retreat was to buildi the skills, networks and campaigns we need to ensure that the true costs of coal are borne by the industry as we work to create a just and sustainable energy future in America’s Heartland. There were three different tracks to choose from: general, organizing and technical, offering something for all, no matter what the level of knowledge or expertise. Download a copy of the program and schedule.
The retreat took place at Camp Ondessonk in the beautiful Shawnee Hills. Highlights included:
- Friday afternoon coal tour to see the impacts of coal mining in the region and meet with residents affected by mining.
- Saturday morning keynote address by Anna Johnson, Citizens Organizing Project
- Saturday evening keynote address by Mary Anne Hitt, Beyond Coal Campaign Director.
- Carter and Connolley, Illinois’ “Preeminent Folk Warriors”, who have a gift for conveying environmental messages through their songwriting and storytelling.
- Sunday morning keynote address by Traci Barkley, Prairie Rivers Network.
We’ll be posting handouts from workshops as they are made available.
Permitting Primer (Traci Barkley, Prairie Rivers Network)